Two giants in this space are Alibaba and Amazon, each providing sellers with unique advantages. Alibaba, frequently labelled as the “Chinese Amazon,” links manufacturers and suppliers with buyers worldwide. Conversely, Amazon FBA (Fulfillment by Amazon) furnishes sellers with an efficient process to store, package, and ship their products. This all-inclusive step-by-step guide will escort you through the process of sourcing products on Alibaba and effectively selling them using Amazon FBA.
What is Alibaba?
Purchasing from Alibaba and selling on Amazon is a popular, convenient, and profitable process. Sellers worldwide covet Alibaba as a prime product sourcing option, offering a vast manufacturer and supplier database for quick selection. Its core purpose is connecting buyers with manufacturers and wholesalers.
Alibaba’s key advantage lies in its extensive product range and supplier network. With 10+ million buyers and 190,000 suppliers, competitive pricing is probable. Its messaging system facilitates seamless supplier communication, while buyer safeguards like Trade Assurance ensure payment and product security.
How to Buy from Alibaba and Sell on Amazon FBA?
If executed properly, purchasing from Alibaba and selling through Amazon FBA can yield profitable results. Here’s a step-by-step guide to steer you through the process:
Research and Product Selection:
- Research trending and popular products on Amazon to identify potentially profitable niches.
- Use tools like Jungle Scout, Helium 10, or AMZScout to analyze product demand, competition, and estimated sales.
Find Suppliers on Alibaba:
- Visit Alibaba.com and search for suppliers that offer the product you’ve chosen.
- Verify the supplier’s legitimacy by checking their Gold Supplier status, transaction history, and customer reviews
- Reach out to multiple suppliers to request quotes, product details, and samples.
- Communicate clearly about your requirements, packaging, labeling, and any customizations.
- Upon receiving samples, appraise their quality, packaging, and alignment with Amazon’s standards.
- Choose a supplier based on product excellence and their capacity to fulfil your requirements.
Price Negotiation and Ordering:
- Negotiate pricing, MOQ (Minimum Order Quantity), and terms with the chosen supplier.
- Place an initial order, keeping in mind factors like product cost, shipping, and potential tariffs.
Establish a Brand and Packaging:
- Develop your brand logo, design packaging, and craft product inserts to establish a distinct identity.
- Confirm that the packaging adheres to Amazon’s criteria and incorporates vital information.
Set Up Your Amazon Seller Account:
- Register for an Amazon Seller Central account if you don’t have one.
- Choose the Professional Selling Plan to access FBA services.
Ship the Product to Amazon FBA:
- After the product undergoes inspection and approval, proceed to ship it to Amazon FBA.
- Ensure accurate package labeling and include all essential paperwork.
List Your Product on Amazon:
- Craft an engaging product listing featuring high-quality images, informative descriptions, and pertinent keywords.
- Enhance your listing to optimize visibility within Amazon’s search algorithm (A9).
Promote the Product:
- Upon listing the product on Amazon, you must actively market it to potential buyers.
- Engage in advertising, leverage social media, and utilize various channels to accomplish this.
How to Ship to Amazon FBA from Alibaba?
After preparing your products, you need to ship them to Amazon’s FBA warehouses. This involves completing customs forms, paying any relevant duties and taxes, and selecting a shipping method that aligns with Amazon’s delivery speed and cost criteria. Alibaba’s logistics services can provide assistance throughout this procedure, offering various shipping options and support services.
Shipping methods from From Alibaba To Amazon FBA
Multiple shipping methods exist, tailored to your needs and budget. Among the popular options:
- Express shipping: Speedy yet costly, delivering to Amazon FBA in 3-7 days.
- Air freight: Balanced between swiftness and expense, reaching Amazon FBA in 7-10 days.
- Sea freight: Economical but slow, transporting to Amazon FBA in 25-40 days.
Quick Tip: Choose express shipping for compact, lightweight items. Opt for air freight or sea freight for bulkier, heavier products. When urgency is key, go with express shipping. Need to economize? Sea freight provides a cost-effective solution.
Ship Direct From Alibaba To Amazon FBA
Directly shipping inventory from your Alibaba supplier to Amazon FBA is the quickest method for getting your products into Amazon’s warehouses. Be sure to provide clear instructions to your supplier regarding Amazon FBA preparation. This involves adhering to Amazon’s labeling and packing guidelines.
Key instructions for your supplier:
- Provide Amazon ASINs for each product.
- Share accurate product descriptions and images.
- Communicate precise product dimensions and weight.
- Outline Amazon’s labeling specifications.
- Detail the required packing specifications.
Furnish your supplier with a comprehensive packing list, including quantities, SKUs, and weights for each product. Make an active communication to confirm shipment details also.This ensures accurate and thorough packing of your shipment. Prioritize a supplier inspection to guarantee product quality and compliance with Amazon’s standards.
Have Your Freight Forwarder Deliver Your Products
Engage a freight forwarder for Amazon warehouse delivery. A freight forwarder specializes in arranging goods transportation, facilitating worldwide shipping to Amazon’s warehouses. Follow these steps:
- Locate a freight forwarder experienced in Amazon FBA shipping.
- Obtain a quote from the freight forwarder.
- Share shipment specifics, including weight, dimensions, and destination.
- The freight forwarder will coordinate your product’s shipping.
- Your products will be delivered to Amazon’s warehouse by the freight forwarder.
Using a 3PL
Shipping from Alibaba to Amazon using a 3PL (Third-Party Logistics) provider involves coordinating the movement of your products from your supplier to the 3PL’s facility, where they will handle the preparation, labeling, and shipment to Amazon’s FBA warehouses. Here’s a step-by-step guide:
- Choose a reputable 3PL aligned with your product prep, labeling, and Amazon FBA needs.
- Inform your Alibaba supplier of the 3PL choice, sharing shipping specifics and the 3PL’s address.
- Work with your supplier to ship Alibaba items to the 3PL facility, specifying shipping method, tracking, and delivery expectations.
- Clearly instruct the 3PL on Amazon FBA requirements.
- Prepare inventory to meet Amazon FBA standards, which could involve FNSKU labeling or polybagging.
- When ready, the 3PL aids in creating a shipment plan through your Amazon Seller Central account, offering details, labels, and quantities.
Amazon Warehouse Receives Shipment:
Maintain vigilance over your products as an Amazon seller. A reliable approach is to regularly monitor your inventory status. Amazon provides this function, allowing you to track the location of your shipments. This becomes particularly crucial for non-express options, which have longer transit times to Amazon warehouses. By staying informed about your shipment’s inventory status, you can track whether it’s still in the receiving phase, checked in, or finalized.
Sourcing from Alibaba and selling on Amazon FBA can be profitable. Exercise caution when sourcing on Alibaba. Utilize its search tools and negotiation features to find reliable suppliers. Follow Amazon’s guidelines for packaging, labeling, and shipping when sending products from Alibaba to Amazon FBA. Work with a reputable freight forwarder for logistics. Follow these steps for successful sourcing and selling. Explore our Amazon podcast for eCommerce news and tips.