Air freight for Amazon fba is a popular method of shipping goods globally, as it offers fast and reliable delivery for businesses that need to get their products to their destination quickly.
International air freight is provided by many cargo airlines, many of which are affiliated with major commercial passenger airlines.
Air freight accounts for just 5% of global shipping in terms of volume, but it covers up to 30% of the market in terms of value. This shows that global business logistics heavily rely on air freight, which is particularly booming in emerging and growing economies.
There is a difference between international air freight and express freight. International air freight involves more than one carrier and larger shipments, while express freight (such as DHL, FedEx, UPS) entails smaller cargos and the use of one company for the entire shipment process.
Advantages and disadvantages of air freight
Shipping by air has many benefits, including speed, reliability and decreased risks of damage. Air freight is the best option for urgent shipments or for perishable goods. It also provides better overview in terms of shipment tracking.
However, air shipping can be much more expensive than sea transport and may not be suitable for larger quantities of goods or particularly large items. Additionally, air freight can have a negative impact on the environment.
Suitable products for air shipping
Air freight is most cost-effective for items that are larger in weight but lesser in volume, such as high-priced electronic equipment. Other goods that are suitable for air shipping include small-sized units such as medical products, documents, samples, and clothing items and accessories.
Prohibited or restricted goods
There are a number of goods that cannot be shipped via air, or are subject to limitations stipulated by local legislation or a company’s rules of procedure. These may include lithium batteries, perishable goods, animals, fine art, and precious metals. It is important to consult local authorities and go through the inspection and clearance procedure before shipping these types of goods.
Calculating air freight costs
The cost of air freight is determined by factors such as weight, volume, and distance. It’s also important to factor in costs such as customs fees, taxes, and brokerage fees. It’s a good idea to work with a freight forwarder to help you calculate the costs and plan your shipment.
In conclusion, international air freight is a popular method of shipping goods globally, as it offers fast and reliable delivery for businesses. It is important to consider the advantages and disadvantages of air freight, choose suitable products for air shipping, and plan ahead to ensure a successful shipment. It’s also important to consult local authorities and work with a freight forwarder to help you navigate the process.
It’s important for Amazon sellers to understand how volumetric weight, or dimensional weight, is calculated when shipping products via air freight. This is because the shipping costs depend on the cargo’s volumetric weight, rather than the actual weight.
Volumetric weight is calculated by taking into account the dimensions of the package rather than the actual weight of the package. This is because larger, lightweight packages take up more space on an airplane than smaller, heavier packages. As a result, shipping companies charge more for larger packages even if they weigh less.
There are two ways to calculate volumetric weight:
Volumetric Weight = Volume (cbm) * 167
Volumetric Weight = Length (cm) * Width (cm) * Height (cm) / 6000 * Carton Quantity
It’s important to note that whichever is larger, volumetric weight or actual weight, will determine the shipping cost.
To reduce the cost of air freight, sellers can consider using smaller packaging, or consolidating multiple items into one larger package. It’s also important to work closely with a freight forwarder and be aware of the dimensions and weight of the package to avoid any unexpected costs.
By understanding how volumetric weight is calculated, Amazon sellers can make informed decisions when shipping products and ensure that they are getting the best rates for their shipments.
Tips to reduce air freight cost
Air freight can be a cost-effective way to ship goods globally, but it can also be expensive if not managed properly. Here are some tips to help you reduce your air freight costs:
- Plan ahead: The earlier you book your shipment, the more likely you are to get a better rate. Try to plan your shipments well in advance to take advantage of lower rates.
- Choose the right carrier: Compare rates from different carriers to find the best deal. Also, consider the carrier’s reputation for reliability and customer service.
- Use consolidated shipping: When shipping smaller quantities of goods, consider using a consolidated shipping service. This allows you to combine your shipment with other shipments, which can save you money.
- Optimize your packaging: Make sure your goods are packaged properly to reduce the risk of damage. This can help you avoid costly claims and reduce your insurance costs.
- Use the right shipping documents: Make sure your shipping documents are complete and accurate. This can help you avoid delays and additional fees.
- Choose the right port of entry: When shipping to a foreign country, consider the cost of clearing customs at different ports. Some ports may have higher fees than others.
- Work with a freight forwarder: A freight forwarder can help you navigate the complexities of international shipping and find the best rates.
By following these tips, you can reduce your air freight costs and make your global shipping more efficient and cost-effective.